Avia Photography

My photo
Columbia, Missouri, United States
Warning, the following ramblings are those of a sometimes sidetracked photographer avoiding accomplishing tasks on her list. All we ask is that if you use one of our photos from here or elsewise, you kindly give us credit. = )

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

.:meet the bennetts:.

I promised in their engagement post that I would save more of their background for later. Katie and I went through discipleship with the great Jen for two years (along with three other BEAUTIFUL ladies-holla Laura, Kelley & Kyrsten!). During this time, Mitch came up more than once in our talks. He was always the tall kid who came to Navigators who was very friendly but we all knew he was in love with Katie. After all, who wouldn't be? I do not think that Katie has a mean bone in her body. Ask anyone who knows her. So we all saw Mitch watching her and knew it was only a matter of time. Eventually, Mitch went off for a Navigator's training summer where he grew in his faith tremendously. Upon his return, Katie and Mitch knew that it was time to begin their courtship--they were ready.

Funny thing, Brian went through discipleship with Mitch and several other guys for a year. When I tried to ask him about their time together Brian just shrugged and said, "I dunno... Mitch is a laidback, cool guy. We like sports so that's what we talk about." Men and their brevity! It is true, when we showed up to Katie's house (where only a year earlier we were taking pictures of Katie's sister's wedding) Brian, Mitch, and the fellas all got sucked into a sports conversation immediately.

Their wedding reflected them-simple, elegant, beautiful. I don't know what it is about their wedding day, but brides look absolutely, positively, radiant. I couldn't help but stare at Katie all day long, this beautiful young woman I'd known for years who just looked... well... stunning. Katie and Mitch have made their home in the huge metropolis of St. Louis, quite a difference from Eldon, where Katie grew up. They'll have one another this year as they begin not only their new lives together, but new careers (though Mitch already began). They both teach, which is how they met--in a learning community at Mizzou full of pre-teachers.

Looking at their photos again gives me a big warm fuzzy. = )

(Oh, and if you know Katie, ask her about her dress. There's a pretty cool God story there!)











(I'm inserting a confession. I LOVE shooting really dynamic people. I have a tendency to find someone who is expressive behind the lens and gravitate towards them. I have never met this couple, but I ended up with more than a few photos of them. What can I say, I love joy!)


No comments: