Avia Photography

My photo
Columbia, Missouri, United States
Warning, the following ramblings are those of a sometimes sidetracked photographer avoiding accomplishing tasks on her list. All we ask is that if you use one of our photos from here or elsewise, you kindly give us credit. = )

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

.:justin & lauren:.



In June I posted this, a photo that took my breath away and made me go "Wow, I love being a photographer". (Brian says I have these moments with some frequency but rarely do I actually take the time to post the photo that makes me say that!)

In an effort to avoiding posting Lauren and Justin's engagement photos and wedding photos simultaneously (they get hitched in St. Louis in November), I wanted to get them posted because they are way too rocking not to show off.

Lauren and Justin contacted us over a year ago about possibly doing photography for their wedding. It was a longer process as they had more than a few photographer candidates. Apparently, in the end, we won out. We'd like to think it was our awesome personalities and charming good looks that got us the job, but no one seems to mention that when they tell us why they booked us.

I met Lauren in 2005 when she was a freshman in Excellence Hall. (Yes, that is the actual name of the dorm for all of you non-Mizzou folk. MU, or, more specifically, Frankie Minor, had the idea to name the four newest dorms after the four core values of MU: Respect, Responsibility, Excellence, and Discovery. They had found that when they gave buildings names that were meant to be temporary--like GCB which stood for General Classrooms Building--they tended to stick and they wanted to avoid blah names this time around until they got a big enough name donor to tack on the name to the dorm). I was on staff in the community she lived. She was one of the few that year that was active and generally motivated (unfortunately, often we don't hear those words in association with many of us college students any more!). She joined a sorority the first semester yet still was involved with a large volume of our community activities that year. Basically, Lauren is just a superstar. Seriously.

Apparently, it was her involvement in her sorority that caused Lauren to meet the man of her dreams, Justin. If I understand correctly, come time for Homecoming, a large portion of pomping responsibilities often fall to the freshmen in the Greek houses. It was during these oh-so-exciting times that Lauren and Justin met.

Because Mizzou is so special to them and their relationship, Lauren and Justin asked to have their engagement pictures done around the campus. Brian and I were happy to oblige. In addition, they requested they be taken during the golden hour (Lauren's dad does photography as a hobby and expertly suggested this!).

I cannot tell you how many couples warn us prior to their shoots that they get nervous at photo sessions. Lauren & Justin were no exception. We never really worry about this because Brian and I are natural nerds and it doesn't take people long to see that when we shoot. We normally make fools of ourselves naturally during our shoots which often helps alleviate some of the pressure of being cool and awesome in front of a camera when we ourselves are dorks. This time, Brian kept offering to catch the baby bunnies and little squirrels that kept appearing all over campus and give them to Lauren and Justin. He never pulled through, but it did get us all to laugh. You'll see a few of the little critters below. = )

We ended up with an a-MAZING example a tasteful traditional engagement shoot. And they were worried they weren't photogenic? I wish I looked this good when people took my pictures. You can tell just by looking through these images that Lauren & Justin are clearly meant for each other--which is what I wanted to capture. They laugh together, and when they look at one another they have that gaze of two people who are on the same page and just *know*. I can't describe it but I can tell you that it is just as it should be.

Lauren has been a huge encouragement to me as she's sent me multiple message with kind words about our photography which is always so uplifting. (She pointed out the many comments she's collected on her facebook album of their engagement photos.) Thanks for being so awesome, Lauren & Justin, and for being okay with Brian & I's dorkiness and his continual offerings to get you all a new pet. Can't wait for your wedding in November!















No comments: